Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Miracles are real....




I just have to say that prayer works and miracles are real. Yesterday morning, we received a text at 6:30am that let us know that the police had just showed up at the birth mother's apartment and had served her papers notifying her that the birth father had registered as the father. Ron and I immediately got up and started praying about what we should do. We didn't even know that the birth father wanted any involvement with the baby. As far as we had understood, he was not in the picture at all and he had not contacted the birth mother since they broke up. He had not gone to any dr appts or helped the birth mother with any expenses during her pregnancy so we understood he didnt want any part in the baby's life. At one point during the birth mother's pregnancy, she had to live in a homeless shelter in New York and so I also figured that if the birth father was around or cared, he would not have let that happen.We didn't know how serious this was and if this could potentially stop this adoption from going through. We needed to talk to our attorney in New York and figure out what we should do from here. We couldn't get a hold of our attorney in Utah or New York so I had a little anxiety going on. When I have anxiety or am really stressed, I run. I ran 10 miles and probably would have gone more if my girls hadn't woken up. It's one of my best ways that I can relieve some of my anxiety:) Anyway, we kind of just went through our day and tried to figure things out the best that we could of what our options were. We found out that this wasn't looking good on our end and the best option would be mediation between the birth father and birth mother. We were hoping that the birth mother could just talk to the birth father and help him understand why she was placing her baby for adoption and that we are not just some random strangers that said we would take the baby, but we have been praying for this baby every night for over 6 months. The adoption process takes a lot of gumption and we want him to know that it is because of spiritual promptings that we had about this baby that we have spent months preparing for this baby.  We just want him to know that we are not a threat and would love to talk to him.

 Anyway, we were hoping that the birth mother would be able to set up mediation, but the birth father did not agree to that. It looked like it was not good news for us and it looked like this was not longer an adoption case, but turning in to a custody battle. I was getting really depressed as the day went on and just not sure what to do and feeling a bit helpless. The girls and I went to the grocery story and on our way back home, I just felt an overwhelming peace that everything was going to work out and that this baby girl was going to make it to our family. When I got home, I told Ron, the feelings that I had had and he asked, "Are the feelings that you are having that everything is going to be okay......are they feelings about the baby or feelings that we will be okay and be able to endure this?" I told him that I felt that our baby girl was going to make it to our family and we needed to start working and figuring out what we could do. First off, I don't usually ask for others to pray for us, but we needed the help of heaven if there was any way our baby girl was going to be a part of our family. So we asked some of our family and friends to pray for the birth father that he might have a change of heart and that the birth mother would be guided to know what to do. I as well offered up a prayer of just complete submissiveness. I definitely wanted this baby to come to our family, but I just wanted to know what Heavenly Father wanted me to learn and to do. I wanted Him to know that I will do whatever He wants me to do. I think I just had to make sure that I wasn't just doing what I wanted, but was following Heavenly Father will.
So the birth mother ( I am using the term birth mother a lot. I think I am just going to call her P from now on in my blog:) had told us that this baby is supposed to come to our family and if she needed to obtain custody first and then place the baby with us, that is what she would do. Our birth mother and her roommates stayed up until 3 or 4am trying to understand New York and Utah law and trying to find a different solution to getting our sweet baby girl to us. They said that the Spirit was very strong as they prayed together about our baby girl and what to do. They said that they just felt that everything would work out. Our baby girl truly has protectors and I know that P and her 3 roommates have fought for her and sacrificed so much to bring our baby girl to us. On Wednesday morning, I woke up super early and was running and came up with the idea that if the birth mother and birth father were going to meet for mediation, I wanted to try and create a book or profile for the birth father so he could see who we are and what kind of people we are. I started to try to create this profile to immediately send out to New York when the I talked with the birth mother and her roommate and they had thought it best for P to come out to Utah as soon as possible and they were talking with the lawyer in New York to see if this could be a possibility that was legally safe. We got the go ahead and we notified the birth father that P would be coming to Utah.  My biggest fear is that P would uproot her life and come to Utah, place her baby with us, and then a few months later end up in a legal battle that lasts for months and ends in our baby being taken back to New York. Once again, we prayed to know if this is the best thing to do and felt the peace that it was. So at this point, it was Wed. night and on Thursday we booked a flight for P and she moved here with all of her stuff on Saturday night. I also have to mention that another prayer was answered when some of our sweet friends said they would love to have her stay with them. Oh, how things can change in a matter of days. Miracles are real. I know that when we do all that we can do and have faith in Heavenly Father, He can perform miracles and show us paths that we didn't know existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment