Sunday, May 1, 2011

First week in Michigan

Going back to last Tuesday when we flew into Michigan.... It was an amazing day! It was crazy to think that I was going to meet my baby girl for the first time. When we got to the NICU, we have to scrub in before entering. When I saw Reese, I started crying as she just stared at us. It was so nice to not have to worry about what the birth mom will think of me, but just hold our baby girl and love her. To be honest, I was really astonished how tiny she was. You see pictures and think you know how small she is, but you can't really tell. I was surprised at how itty bitty she was for the first couple of days. When I first picked her up, I thought she was going to break and the nurses were kinda laughing with me about it. She was still in her little isolette and keeping her temperature so they were going to try her in a crib in a couple of days. They changed her gestational age at that point from 30 weeks to 34 weeks which was a huge surprise. They told us she could be discharged at 35 weeks if she maintained her temp in a normal crib for 48 hours and kept up with her eating and gaining weight. They were so nice and put me straight to work. Taking her temperature, changing her diaper, and help get her ready for her bath( I was too scared to bath her on my own at first). When she was in the bath, they pulled her EKG leads off of her and she didn't even cry. She has such a good temperament. She is the cutest little baby I have ever seen. She is so strong and happy. I just could not believe how perfect she was and that she would soon be ours. Our court date was not for another week, so I was still so scared she would be taken away from me. I just couldn't believe what we had been praying for for the past few years was actually here. It was such an amazing day!

The apartments where we were staying are really nice. They are right next to the hospital and pretty big. The scary part is that it takes 2 minutes to walk to the hospital from the apartment and at night, we have to call security to drive us over to the hospital. We were warned to call security about this from almost everyone. I would get so excited to see Reese every time we went over to see her. My mom and I brought lots of little crafts to do while in the hospital, but we hardly had time to do any of them. All I wanted to do was hold Reese all day ( and take pictures) and was perfectly content. It was so amazing to me to actually see the importance of physical touch. Reese gets excited really easy and her heart rate will be really high, but when I would hold her on my chest and she could hear my heartbeat and feel me breathing, her heart rate and breathing would regulate and slow down. The nurses said that this also helps the baby to gain more weight and maintain their temp.I loved watching that happen everyday until didn't have as many tachypic episodes. Wednesday night, Reese weighted 3 lbs 2.4 oz and we were so excited. A gain of almost 2 oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment