Monday, April 4, 2011

Overwhelming Joy...


I am hesitant to post this, but I couldn't help it once I received the pictures today. Last Thursday, we received a call from our caseworker notifying us that we were chosen to adopt a baby girl who was born in Detroit, Michigan. We were told that the birthmother delivered the baby premature and that the birthmother and father wanted a closed adoption. The birthmother did not want to choose an adoptive couple and did not hold the baby at all. The birthfather went and saw the baby in the NICU everyday while the birthmother was in the hospital. We were told that the baby was able to breath on room air and that she had an APGAR score of 8 at 1 min and 9 at 5 min. She is just doing incredible. The birthparents let the caseworker choose an adoptive couple and so she said that she went through many of the profiles and chose us. She took our profile into the agency along with 10 other couple profiles to see which couple that the other caseworkers would choose and she said that they all chose us and that the spirit was very strong and everyone was crying. I was bawling on the phone as I heard this amazing news. I just felt so much love for this baby girl as well as these 2 amazing birthparents who truly sacrificed their wants aside for what was best for this baby girl. The parents have 3 kids together that live with them and they just sound like the most loving people. I want to fly out to Michigan as soon as possible, but we are waiting for our court date so that we will legally be her parents, otherwise, we would not even be able to hold her or go into the NICU. Paperwork was filed on Monday, so hopefully we will get a court date in a week and then be able to fly out their in about 3 weeks to sign paperwork and see our baby girl. I will stay with her in Michigan until she is discharged from the hospital and then it will take about a week or so for paperwork to go through for us to return to Utah. So I will probably be living in Michigan for 3-4 weeks. Ahhh, Detroit, Michigan.... I am going to get mugged! When I saw these pictures of our sweet baby, my heart just broke when I think that no one is there in the hospital with her. I just want to fly out their immediately and hold her. I was able to talk to the charge nurse in the NICU today and that was very comforting. She said that she was "a perfect baby" and that she had gained 6 oz and grown 1/2 inch. I asked the nurse if I could send a baby book that they could keep by her isolette that the nurses could jot down anything that they wanted about the baby. There is so much that I am going to miss and the nurses love her so much already. On the medical reports they sent us, the nurses sent a little written report that said she was beautiful with dimples. We just have about three weeks to see if the birthparents will relinquish their rights, and then we will legally be her parents!! We love this little baby girl so much and are hoping and praying that we will be able to be blessed to be her parents.




3 comments:

  1. WOW! I am so so happy for you guys! I had tears in my eyes reading this. She is beautiful! I hope she makes a quick recovery and that you are able to hold her in your arms asap! Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is precious! I am praying that everything works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news! You guys have been in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete