Sunday, September 4, 2011

Happy Birthday Sachi...

This is a little bit of a late birthday post, but Sachi is now 1. I can't believe we have had her for a year now. I have never really been a dog person. Actually when I was growing up, if my friend's dog came up to me, I would get completely grossed out if it licked me. I don't know what happened over the past year because now we have 2 dogs and I love them so much. They are part of our family and they have healed my heart time and time again. Keiko came to us when I felt so helpless. After a few years of infertility failures, I was just so lost of what to do next. Keiko came to us randomly one day (seriously...she just trotted over to our house while the teachers quorum were working in our yard. I wouldn't have let them feed her all that pizza if I knew she would be ours in a day.) She was left, tied to a fence, with a note that said the owner could not take care of her anymore and that she was up to date on all of her shots and that she was 2 years old. Anyway, we adopted Keiko and she has been a very fun dog. She is such a cuddler and loves to have her belly rubbed. I never realized how lonely I was at home until I got a dog, I talk to my dogs constantly.
Now getting back to Sachi. We decided to get Sachi after our failed adoption last August. It was actually Ron's idea and I went with it. He saw these malamute puppies on ksl and went to go see them. He came home and showed me a video of the puppies and I immediately fell in love. The excitement of a new puppy took away some of the heartache I felt from all the disappointment. We went to visit the puppies at 4 weeks and then every week, we would go visit our puppy until we could take her home at 8 weeks. The first night Sachi was home was HORRIBLE! I seriously wanted to take her back. We didn't know how to take care of a puppy, but our neighbors gave us some tips and we brought her kennel into our bedroom at night and life was much easier. I feel bad for Sachi because I treated her like a baby and would hold her like a baby. She let me fulfill some of those nurturing qualities that I had building within me. The dogs have made the wait for Reese so much easier. I love to watch them in the backyard. It seriously looks like national geographic the way they play, but the love it. We are still working on taking them both on a walk at the same time, because they are really bad. It's actually embarrassing and I try not to walk them together anymore.
They have both been so good with Reese and have never licked her face or jumped up on her. The other day I was laying on the ground with Reese and it was so funny because the kitchen gate was open and Sachi usually does not come in unless I tell her she can. Anyway, I was laughing with Reese when out of the corner of my eye I see Sachi army crawling to us. As soon as I turned to look at her, she rolled over on her back and started wagging her tale. She is a character. Sachi also thinks everything is a game and always has a smile on her face. Even when she is in trouble, she doesn't know it. (Which is sometimes a bad thing). She is always so excited as soon as we get home and it makes me feel so loved. I love our dogs and they have mended our hearts time and time again. Sorry if she has ever jumped up on you, we are working on that one too.

I am not sure if this is how all dogs sleep, but this is Sachi's sleeping position.

No comments:

Post a Comment