Monday, December 12, 2011

A perfect day amidst the storms....



 My best friend, (well, best (girl) friend), was married last Thursday and it was amazing! I have been friends with Michelle since I was 7 years old. We played soccer together in elementary although we went to different schools. Then we went to Jr. High and High School together and cont. to play soccer together. She was my go to girl when we didn't feel comfortable at a party or any other place. I remember leaving a party with her and I think we went running at like 10:00pm in the winter. She has always been such a good friend and example in my life. After High School we both went up to Utah State together and lived in a fun old house with Michelle's sister and another friend. We both came back down to Syracuse and West Point so that she could student teach and I could start the Respiratory Therapy program at Weber State. We would always go on walks and talk about everything. She is my one friend that I have really kept in touch with and has always been there for me. She amazes me because although marriage did not come when she expected, she didn't dwell on it, but bettered her life in every way possible. She has traveled to Mexico a few times to build homes and raised money to build a water system in Peru, traveled to Switzerland to take a study abroad art class, and is always taking a Spanish or sewing class. Anyway, I am grateful to have such an amazing friend that we can be there for each other during the trials, as well as the good times.

 During the past few years as we have had our ups and downs of adoption and she has had her ups and downs of dating, it has been a sweet feeling this year to be able to celebrate the blessings that have come to both of us. It is wonderful to have a friend to help you through the trials, but it is more amazing to be able to celebrate the day Michelle has been waiting for. I ran into Michelle before the ceremony in the temple and as I hugged her we both about started to cry just thinking about all of our talks we have had awaiting this day. She looked so beautiful and happy and I am grateful for such a wonderful guy that has made Michelle so happy. I realize now why it is so important to choose good friends when we are young.  Michelle has blessed my life so much and I can only hope that Reese will find the kind of friend that Michelle has been to me.
Now......Michelle got married on Thursday, Dec. 1, which was the day of the huge windstorm. I admit, it was pretty scary driving down to Salt Lake. I drove by at least 15 semi trucks that were rolled over on the side of the road. I have never seen anything like it. Power lines were pulled down everywhere, houses torn apart, and trees in the middle of the road. It was pretty scary driving down to the temple, but as soon as I got there, it was truly a perfect day and I was so happy for Michelle. I was reminded that amidst the storms, we can still have perfect days and watch the hand of God work in our lives. 

 Chevron torn apart
Phone lines torn down

No comments:

Post a Comment